<<Go back to the last page

Miners Theatre, Ashington
Cinema Address:
138 Station Road, Ashington, NE63 8HE
Period of Thompson Ownership:
1913-1916. Possibly owned before 1913.
How Acquired by Thompson:
Built in 1896 it was the first theatre in Ashington.
Other Info:
There is mixed evidence as to ownership before 1915. A C Moody is referred to.
Fate of the Cinema:
After being closed for some time Wallaw Pictures Ltd. built the new Art Deco style Regal Theatre on the site in 1937. This closed in November 1979, and after laying derelict for many years was demolished and a nursing home named Station Court was built on the site.
Location Accuracy: Accurate

Information below is taken from The Kinematograph Yearbooks. The Page reference is from the following year’s edition, when information appeared. Additional information is in italics

Year Ownership Population Seating Capacity Other cinemas in town Manager Shows per day Changes Weekly Prices Variety Sound System Other cinemas with sound Kinematograph Year Book reference
1913 Thomas Thompson and others 24583 2000 0 303
1914 Thomas Thompson and others 24583 2000 6 456
1915 Thomas Thompson 24583 2000 8 351
1916 Thomas Thompson 24583 2000 8